The Institute of Chemistry

Created in 1967, the Institute of Chemistry soon became a Center of Excellence in Chemistry, with activities in teaching and research plus interaction with the community. In its 40 years of existence, the Institute of Chemistry has dedicated itself to training Bachelors in Chemistry and in Chemical Technology as well as Teachers of Chemistry. Approximately 2400 students have graduated from the Institute of Chemistry since its founding.

The research developed at the Institute of Chemistry has produced more than 1400 MSc and PhD theses and approximately 3500 papers published in indexed Scientific Journals (1540 of them in the last 5 years) besides more than 100 patent applications between 1999 and 2006.

The Faculty has 85 members, all of them working full time. The Institute of Chemistry occupies a total area of 25000 m2 containing classrooms, teaching and research laboratories, equipment rooms, six shops, professor's and student's offices, an auditorium and a mini-auditorium, and the administrative area.

The indices of academic production are expressive: the Institute of Chemistry is one of the University units with the highest number of published papers per capita. This performance is responsible for its leadership on the Brazilian scene and its international visibility. The Institute of Chemistry is the first in filed patent applications at the University, also indicating its leadership in technological development.

These aspects are also indicative of the quality and competence of its faculty; in fact 48 members are Productivity Fellows of the National Council for Science and Technology. Eight of its faculty members are also members of the Brazilian Academy Of Science and four are among the 100 worldwide most cited chemists.



UNICAMP
INSTITUTO DE QUÍMICA
Fone (19) 3521-3000 - Fax (19) 3521-3023
Caixa Postal 6154 - Campinas, SP - CEP 13083-970